Earn and Learn your way to a career in Science with our Pre-Apprenticeship Programme
Courses start each Monday throughout the year. Register with us today, using the form below.
If you are 16-24, have a real interest in entering a career in science, apply now for our Science Pre-Apprenticeship programme.
You will start with a 14 week programme designed to prepare you for entry to a full time apprenticeship.
About the programme
- This programme introduces you to the world of science, preparing you for an apprenticeship or other science courses. It is designed to develop a range of employability skills essential for success in working life.
- You will gain a BTEC Level 1 in Applied Science, Functional Skills in maths, and a Work Skills Award in Teamwork.
- The course runs for 14 weeks and is based at the Enfield Centre.
- You will attend College on Monday, 9am - 4.30pm and Tuesday - 9am - 4.30pm and Wednesday 2pm -4.30pm.
- You will also attend a one day work experience and have the opportunity to practice interview skills.
- You will have a personal tutor who will guide and support you, and have access to our careers and counselling service. Financial advice is also available.
You will study the following units:
- Starting work in the science sector
- Using equipment to make scientific observations and measurements
- Using chemical products
- You will study the practical and theoretical aspects of sciences in fully equipped laboratories. You will prepare for interviews with employers.
Benefits of the Pre- Apprenticeship programme
Frequently asked questions
How often will I attend training?
You will attend training three days a week for 14 weeks.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed in your practical and written work. There will be tutor guidance to support you in the required assessments.
I already work in a laboratory can I still join the programme?
Yes. This will be very valuable to your programme and can help in your training and assessment programme.
Watch Science Video
Careers in Science
How much can I earn?
- Clinical Support Workers: starting from £13,600 - £16,700 a year. With experience this can rise to around £18,500.
- Biomedical Scientist in the NHS: starting from £21,200 and £27,500 per year. Specialists, team leaders and managers earn between £33,000 and £40,000.
- Laboratory Technician: starting from £13,000 - £18,000 per year. With experience and qualifications this can rise to between £20,000, and £25,000.
- Education Technician: Full time technicians can earn from £13,000 to around £18,000 a year, Senior Technicians can earn over £25,000.
- Research Scientist with a phD: starting from £25,000 to £35,00 a year. Professor’s can earn £50,000 - £70,000 or more.
To register your interest please complete the enquiry form below